Friday, November 1

First Week of Classes Blog

                                                                                                             November 1, 2013
Dear Family and Friends,
   Classes have begun at Makumira and the seminary students are very happy about that!  They love to learn and are very aware that it is a privilege not available to many, so they take it very seriously.
   We have 27 Tanzanian students, plus 3 Germans, and 2 Danish students.  This year we have a husband/wife combo, and a female pastor who grew up Muslim and has a heart-wrenching story about how she came to be a Christian.
  It looks like another great class, full of Spirit, curiosity, and a sense of humor!
  It is a bit of a challenge for Tim and I not only to remember the Tz. names, but also to get the right name with the right student.  Actually it is a huge challenge for us, so I decided to make a seating chart and on the first day of class I explained that the students are to sit in the same seat at each class until I learn all their names. (Tim, on the other hand, told his Worship Class, which is composed of the same students, to wear the same outfit to class each time so he can recognize who they are!  Fortunately, after a moment's hesitation, the students realized he was joking and thought it was very funny...little did they know...
   Anyway, the next time my Psych. Class met, many of the students were sitting in different seats. I recognized this change in seating when I called "Emmanuel"---"Christina," and everyone in the class began to laugh (except for Emmanuel and Christina!)  Then they explained to me that they had never heard of a seating chart before and they didn't want to sit where they sat the time before.
  So, in an attempt at conflict management, I agreed that this new seating arrangement was absolutely fine. . . . and I'd adjust my seating chart. . . . but they need to keep these seats now.  I then proceeded going between the aisles writing down students' names again and two of the students sitting next to each other gave the same name, or so I thought, and I commented to that fact---which resulted in another outbreak of laughter.  Everyone started talking excitedly at the same time in an attempt to explain that "Imani" and "Amani" are not at all alike because one means "Faith" and one means "Hope."  The students speak very fast and their English has a heavy Swahili/British accent so those names still sound the same when they pronounce them, but I'll take their word for it.
   This comedy of errors didn't end there unfortunately.  Then there was a student whose real name is "Beatus" but he said he wanted to be called "Bryant----Kobe Bryant" because he (Beatus) thinks Kobe Bryant is a great NBA basketball player and he (Beatus aka Bryant) loves basketball!
  So, Bryant it will be....Then somehow there was an extra student.  He said he was present. (I thought he thought I was taking roll call.)  I agreed that he was present and again asked his name.  (I'm sure by now you've figured this all out, buy remember I was still coming off the trauma of Amani/Imani.
By this time the class was again laughing hysterically and I wasn't sure if they were kidding me or not since I've never heard of any Tanzanian named "Present."  Well, I guess there's a first time for everything!
  The great, great, great news, however, is that the Power Point that I worked on all summer actually worked!  First of all, we had electricity, and the presentation went without a glitch!  This is a modern day miracle considering my technical abilities.  The second day of class wasn't so impressive since we were without electricity---so I guess I'll win some and lose some!
  Something that definitely is a "winner," though, are the 2 ringed notebooks equipped with all the class notes and actual copies of all the assigned readings for the Psychology Class.  The students don't have textbooks here because of the expense.  They copy all their lecture notes by hand and have to look up any assigned readings either in the library (few copies of the outdated books available) or on the internet, but the internet connection is often out for hours or even days.  Needless to say, the students were really grateful for such a gift as their "own book."  We explained that it was all made possible by Christians in America who gave money for our teaching here.  They said several times to tell the people in America, "Asante sana, asante sana---Thank-you, thank-you."
   On that note, Tim and I will close by also saying thank-you for your interest and your prayers.  We hope this finds you healthy and life going well for you and your families.
  I am attempting to add pictures so please scroll down and see if they follow (unless they ended up on the top of this article and then you will have already seen them by this point!)
  God's peace,
    Tim & Diane    P.S.  As of the writing of this draft, we are without electricity since this afternoon.  Consequently I am writing by lantern and I just saw a gecko slither across the wall right in front of me--but that's ok (I keep telling myself ) because he eats mosquitoes and other creepy, crawly things!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be read by the Sonnenbergs -- however, they will not be published.